Make easy baked turkey sliders recipe with a brown sugar mustard glaze. It is a tasty side dish, snack, or party food. Quick to whip up and easy to freeze. Simple to adapt to picky eaters. Try a new filling, get a unique slider.
Oh, sliders. When you need a quick, easy dinner everybody loves, look to the slider.
Something about these toasty little sandwiches, slathered in a sweet buttery sauce, makes them so much better than ordinary sandwiches.
When you need a quick Sunday lunch or a snack to feed all the teens lounging in your family room, turn to your turkey sliders recipe.
What is a slider? A slider is a mini deli meat and cheese sandwich baked with a sweet sticky glaze. A dozen sliders cook together in a casserole dish. You know they are ready to eat when the cheese melts, and the glaze gets bubbly.
Pull the sandwiches apart before serving.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy recipe. Throw it together in 10 minutes. Then bake for another 20-25. It is perfect for weeknight dinners when you are short on time.
Since it is basically making a sandwich, assign the meal to your teen to prepare. He will have to put down his phone. But the experience of making food he likes is a great life skill.
- Snackable. These tiny little sandwiches make a meal, but they are also a great snack. Eat them after school. Chow down on a couple before the soccer game. Serve them at a game day party. They are a fun party food!
- Versatile in every way. Effortlessly scale the recipe up or down. You can add more fillings. Or skip the onions on just a couple of sliders. Take away the turkey and transform it into a cheese sliders recipe.
It is simple to customize to fit the needs of your picky eaters.
Tips and Tricks
- Cut all the bun tops off at once. Hawaiian rolls come stuck together. Don’t pull them apart and slice each bun open individually.
Instead, take them out of the package (as a whole) and lay them on a cutting board. Use a serrated bread knife to cut off all the tops at once.
Then add the slider filling and replace the whole segment of bun tops.
- Shaved turkey makes it easier to pull the sliders apart. When the deli turkey is thick, it can be hard to cut the sliders individually without losing some of the filling.
Shaved turkey is easier to cut through (or pull apart). Then no one feels cheated when they bite into their sandwich.
- Don’t stuff the buns in the pan. Choose a pan that can easily fit all the buns. If you cram the buns in, they can get soggy when they cook.
You want the sauce to run down the sides of the buns. Not accumulate because it has nowhere to go.
Basic Turkey Sliders Recipe Ingredients
This recipe will sneak into your family’s favorites. You probably already have these simple ingredients on hand.
- Small sandwich bun. Any soft roll (sweet Hawaiian rolls, potato rolls, or pretzel buns) is excellent for a slider. Hawaiian rolls might be the most popular but definitely not the only choice.
The sauce in this recipe will cover 12 to 16 Hawaiian rolls. A package from the grocery store has a dozen. Sam’s Club sells packages with 16 in them.
- Turkey breast. Sliced or shredded deli turkey is perfect for this sandwich. However, you can use leftover turkey too. Shred it, and it will be perfect.
- Cheese. We like cheddar cheese the best. However, Swiss cheese, provolone, and Havarti cheese are all great choices to pair with turkey.
- Complimentary Fillings (bacon, spinach, onions, pepperoni, avocado, etc.). You can never go wrong with bacon on a slider. But also consider healthier options like spinach, grilled onions, tomato slices, and mashed avocado.
Slider Butter Sauce Ingredients
This versatile brown sugar mustard butter sauce takes good on any slider variation.
- Melted butter. Use salted butter. Don’t bother rounding up unsalted butter. Butter melts quickly in the microwave.
- Brown sugar. Add a dash of sweetness with brown sugar.
- Dijon mustard. Any mustard is fine, but Dijon mustard adds a little extra flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce. Make the sauce savory with 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce.
- Garlic powder. You just need ¼ teaspoon to season the glaze.
- Black pepper. Grind some fresh black pepper if you can. Just a pinch will do.
- Poppy seeds. Sprinkle the poppy seeds on top of the buns before popping them in the oven. Other alternatives include sesame seeds, Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning, or even red pepper flakes.
How to Make Most Turkey Slider Recipes
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C).
STEP 2: Remove a loaf of Hawaiian buns from the package without breaking them apart. Use a serrated bread knife to slice off the tops of the buns in one piece. Remove the whole top at once.
STEP 3: Spray a casserole dish, baking sheet, or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP 4: Place the bottom halves of the rolls in the baking dish. The cut side faces up.
STEP 5: Put the deli meat on the bottoms of the rolls. Make sure to cover all the corners.
STEP 6: Layer any fillings and then the cheese on top of the turkey.
STEP 7: Replace the top half of the rolls.
STEP 8: Pour all the sauce ingredients into a microwave-safe container. Cover with a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir and reheat in 15-second intervals until the butter has all melted.
Stir until the brown sugar is completely dissolved and the sauce stays together.
STEP 9: Generously brush the glaze all over the roll tops and sides.
STEP 10: Top each bun with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or other seasoning.
STEP 11: Cover with foil. Place the sliders in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
STEP 12: Remove the foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. The buns should be a light golden brown when they are finished baking.
STEP 13: Remove the pan from the oven. Cut apart the Hawaiian roll turkey sliders to serve.
Turkey Slider Variations
The first time I had sliders, it was a simple deli meat and cheese recipe. Since that time, I have come to appreciate adding a bit more heft so that the sliders are more filling.
A slider recipe with just turkey and cheese might make a good snack. But add a few more complementary ingredients, and you can turn it into a meal.
Turkey Cranberry Sliders (Thanksgiving Style)
Turkey cranberry sliders are a delicious way to use up Thanksgiving leftovers.
- Leftover small soft dinner rolls
- Leftover Thanksgiving turkey, shredded (or deli-sliced turkey)
- Smoked gouda
- Crispy bacon
- Leftover cranberry sauce, drained
- Fried onions (optional to garnish). Sprinkle on after baking or they will burn.
Veggie Turkey Slider
Add some vegetables to this slider to get a more filling snack.
- Swiss cheese
- Poppy seeds (to garnish)
Spicy Turkey Slider
Add this turkey slider variation to your Mexican recipes. It is a great way to mix up the sliders.
- Shaved cabbage
- Red onion slices
- Pepper jack cheese
- Red pepper flakes (to garnish)
Italian Turkey Slider
This is one of your Italian recipes that will please all the pizza lovers in the house.
- Cheddar cheese
- Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning (to garnish)
Can You Make Turkey Sliders Ahead of time?
It’s an easy idea to do all the prep work for sliders the night before.
The best way to make the cheesy turkey sliders early is to build them in a casserole pan. But do not make the glaze yet.
Cover the dish with saran wrap. Then store it in the refrigerator for one or two days.
Take the pan out of the refrigerator 20 minutes before baking them. Preheat the oven and make the sauce in a small bowl.
Pour the butter sauce over the sliders and bake.
How to Store Leftover Turkey Sliders
If you have leftover sliders, store them correctly so you can eat them for lunch tomorrow. Remember to refrigerate leftover food within two hours.
Keep the sliders in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They stay fresh for two or three days.
Can you freeze sliders? If you have a lot of leftover sliders, throw them in a zip-top freezer bag and freeze them.
Better yet, keep the individual sliders in their own freezer container or bag so they are a breeze to grab for a snack.
To Reheat From the Freezer:
- Remove the slider from the bag.
- Reheat in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate for 1 minute.
- Test and continue to heat in 15-second intervals until the slider is warm enough.
How to Reheat Sliders
Sliders are good both cold and warm. If you like them warm, they are easy to reheat.
To reheat the turkey slider in the microwave:
- Place the slider on a microwave-safe plate.
- Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Test the temperature. Continue to heat for another 15 seconds or until they are warm to your liking.
- 1 package of sweet Hawaiian rolls (12 to 16 count) or other soft rolls
- ¾ to 1 pound of shaved deli turkey (or shredded leftover turkey)
- ¼ to ½ pound of cheddar, provolone, or Havarti cheese, sliced
- Optional: Extra toppings (bacon, spinach, pepperoni, cranberry sauce, sliced apples, etc.)
Brown Sugar Mustard Sauce
- ½ cup of butter
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper (freshly ground)
- PREHEAT the oven to 350° F (175° C).
- REMOVE a loaf of Hawaiian buns from the package without breaking them apart. Use a serrated bread knife to slice off the tops of the buns in one piece. Remove the whole top at once.
- SPRAY a casserole dish, baking sheet, or cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- PLACE the bottom halves of the rolls in the baking dish. The cut side faces up.
- PUT the deli meat on the bottoms of the rolls. Be generous with the meat. Make sure to cover all the corners.
- LAYER any fillings such as bacon, spinach, cranberry sauce, etc. on top of the turkey.
- SLICE the cheese if necessary. Place a layer of cheese on the turkey. If you want your slider especially cheesy, start with a layer of cheese before adding the turkey. Then finish with another layer of cheese on top of the turkey.
- REPLACE the top half of the rolls.
- POUR all the sauce ingredients into a microwave-safe container. Cover with a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir and reheat in 15-second intervals until the butter is completely melted.
- STIR the sauce until the brown sugar is completely dissolved and the sauce stays together.
- GENEROUSLY BRUSH the sauce all over the roll tops and sides.
- SPRINKLE each bun with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or other seasoning.
- COVER the pan with foil. Place the sliders in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- TAKE OFF the foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. The buns should be a light golden brown when they are finished baking.
- REMOVE the pan from the oven. Cut apart the Hawaiian roll turkey sliders to serve.
All images and content are ©TheTastyTip.com. If you want to use this recipe and techniques, please take your own photos, write your own description, and link back to this page. Thank you.
Serving Size1 slider
Amount Per Serving Calories 228Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 65mgSodium 722mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 0gSugar 6gProtein 11g
Nutrition information is an estimate only and may vary based on individual ingredients added and cooking methods used.
What to Serve with Turkey Sliders
Sliders are versatile enough to be served with many different foods. Here are some of our family favorites.
- Combine it with a salad. Copycat Cracker Barrel kale and Brussels sprouts salad perfectly complements a turkey slider.
Hungry for More Turkey Recipes
- Turkey soup. Use leftover turkey to make this easy 30 minute favorite turkey soup. Turkey, potatoes, onions, garlic, leeks, celery, and fresh seasonal herbs mix together for a true comfort food experience.
- Turkey salad. This turkey garden salad has a variety of flavors to tempt your taste buds. Crisp greens and leftover turkey combined with sweet, tart, crunchy, and chewy mix-ins.
- Turkey Sandwiches. A turkey melt is another hot turkey sandwich, but this one is made with sandwich bread instead of a soft roll.
- Juicy turkey burger. Combine lean ground turkey, bread crumbs, and seasonings to make a tasty turkey burger recipe. Shape mixture into small burger patties. Cook in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Sandwich them in mini burger buns and garnish. Now you are ready for your Super Bowl party.